Articles Section

Hopewell Nutrition Blog

Are Genetically Modified Foods Safe?

Are Genetically Modified Foods Safe?

GM foods are NOT safe to consume.  The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) agrees. Their research confirms this. The Academy reported that many health risks are associated with GM foods. These include infertility and immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the GI system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.

Monsanto, the largest producer of GM foods, produces 90 percent of all GM foods in America. They are also the largest producer of GM foods in the world. Dow Chemical and Syngenta AG make up the remaining 10 percent of produced GM foods.  Monsanto’s and the U.S. Government’s position on GM foods are the following:  GM foods are safe to consume, are disease resistant, and can provide much needed food for third world and developing nations. The European Union (EU) says the opposite! The EU does NOT allow GM foods at all. Third world countries have no choice. They are forced to buy GM seeds, and they are forced to buy GM fertilizers and GM pesticides and herbicides that match the GM seeds. The US Supreme Court recently decided in favor of Monsanto that GM seeds are considered intellectual property and are protected by law and cannot be replanted without permission of Monsanto. Many American farmers are being sued and losing their farms because of litigation filed by Monsanto.

The FDA, EPA, and USDA do not regulate GM foods in America. This is because, by definition, they are considered “substantially equivalent” or the same as non-modified foods. As a matter of fact, there appears to be a “revolving door” between employees and executives of the FDA and USDA and Monsanto. Executives in the U.S. Government have worked for Monsanto and executives of Monsanto have worked for the USDA and FDA.

Currently in America, food companies are not required by law to label foods containing GM ingredients. This policy is essentially giving American consumers no choice in food selection. We need to protect our food chain from multi-international food and chemical corporations that control agriculture. The food we consume is essentially the only variable that we can control on a daily basis.  We have little or no control over the air we breathe, our housing and work environment, and the pollution on public transportation and highways. However, we do become what we eat!

For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call or email Info@HopewellNutrition.com.